Thursday 11 June 2015

The Choice of BEING HUMAN!


"Being Human is given...But Keeping our Humanity is a Choice"


Today I experienced what this really means.I have just started my new journey and as a part of that we had gone for a community visit today with a task - To help/serve people in any which way we can. It seemed quite simple...I mean who doesn't need a hand...and I will not mind if somebody comes and helps me with my work :) Infact M sure we all just hope and pray to get some help at work...in college for those crazy assignments...in School for crappy homework...I mean whatever age we are..Help is always welcome :D

But, today I experienced exactly the opposite...So when I tried to offer some help to 2 kids who were filling 2 big gallons of water...they jus ran away with their gallons as if I'm gonna steal it (not sure if they were scared by my looks :P)...for a second I thought ok.. what did I say...I thought I was just trying to help... anyways I moved on and tried again...this time it was a elderly lady making garlands to be sold near the temple...so I asked her agn.."Hello aunty...do u need any help with your work?" and She said No...I was like blank..and then I felt like really weird but I had to help someone...it was the task :P....n it literally was turning out to be one hell of a task as nobody was willing to take help...

Then just walking along the road I came across a another lady..almost my grandma;s age...she was carrying a stick and looked very fragile...So I thought may be I can assist her with walking her back home...(Like i mentioned I had a mission to "HELP")...so I just asked her - "Aunty...do you need to go some where? I can help you :)"...and she said No again...n I felt like shit...but then I just decided to stay back and talk to her...so It started with the casual questions like Do you come here often? and she replied ...Yes, I stay near by....I like sitting here in the evening and watch people passing by :) she had this really infectious smile..I mean the cute one with no teeth..it resembled a baby smiling...so I continued talking further..and again the "HELP" part popped in my mind and I asked her If i could by her some fruits or tea from a near by vendor...Yeah ...u got that right...I was not ging to give up on my mission :D but her response surprised me...she said No...I don't want to eat but why don't you come to my place...I'll show you my house..and I was like quite stumped about ok.here I was trying to do something for her and she's offering me to visit her house instead...this is not how this is supposed to be going..but anyhowI went ahead with her...

We entered the place which was a small room with a bed and a small table fan on the side...but I have never experienced a more welcoming place in my life..The feeling was beautiful like I could feel the love she had for a complete stranger that I was for her...and she took out a small box of biscuits and offered me...I felt so overwhelmed by her gesture that I didn't know what to say...and on top of that a relative of her's got a cup of tea for her and she told her to get another cup for me..and she held my hand and just started looking at me and had tears in her eyes...and I was like completely taken by the love I could see in her eyes...like such a pure emotion and for me who she barely knew for like last 10 mins...Wowww! When I left her place...I couldn't exactly comprehend what exactly was I feeling..I knew i got emotional and almost was about to cry...Cry about the whole irony of the situation and the feeling I just experienced...a realization that helping others is not necessarily about work...it can also be about giving your time to someone who needs it... a simple smile to someone who probably doesn't have anyone to talk to.

We see so many strangers who come to our place and we are always suspicious even if somebody is talking nicely cos we are so sure he/she has an ulterior motive...we are so scared to trust people that we have forgotten how to relish the simple pleasures in life...and that was what I experienced today...I dunno If i could help her in anyway...the only thing I could feel was that she was happy to see me to come and talk to her..but what she made me feel today I'll remember for life...its one of the most beautiful memories I have made and I know it will make me smile every time I think about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment