Saturday 13 June 2015

Connecting redefined - from dreadful connects at work to a beautiful experience!!

Connects - until now I used to run away the moment I heard the word "connect" as most of us know these connects are dangerous meetings which either blow your mind off ( not in a good way to say the least) or are something like "Feedback" sessions which is basically all about what you are doing wrong...I dreaded these connects throughout my career and Honestly I had not heard of this term before that (which were happier times obv :P )

Well...so today we were supposed to have a "Connect" to basically reflect on our Life story...based on my prior experiences and "Pre conceived notions" (which I am trying to get rid off) I thought its going to be another run of the mill session where people will talk all high funda in a very superficial manner and thats about it...But I was wrong and this time again I was happy to be proved wrong :) 

So today's connect was like the first time I heard people open up like in the truest of forms...they actually shared like some really moving facts of their lives and how it changed them and which gave me the courage to do the same as well. We usually have a face for the world which we want to show...but inside we have a lot of things which we at times are scared to express or depict as we feel unsure of how people around will take it or may be we have experienced rejection at some point of time because of it.

If I talk about myself...it took me a lot of time to accept my true nature and get comfortable about it...and not feel awkward for being an introvert and I think some people might laugh at this who have seen me yapping a lot of times...but honestly that is something I made an effort to do...so there are topics and people which click and I can talk endlessly about them..but most times it takes me a while to continue a conversation after 5 mins...and then you move to "What else"/ "aur Bataao"...I actually will like to thank one of my really good school friends to introduce these words to me as they rescued me from talking too much and just let the other person go on :P 

My love for seclusion is not something people quite relate to a lot of times so I never actually spoke about it...for the fear of appearing like a psycho or something like that...but today in front almost unknown people I did talk about all of this and I ended up being so vulnerable that I cried...cos i think it was the first time I was talking about it in an open forum and I was not scared of being judged...I could just be myself and be open about it..I didn't have to think that ok this trait is going to held against me...this not how a future leader should be like..etc etc..I was relieved and I feel so light

Post that session when I was just still in that mode...I realized the reason we don't really connect with a lot of people is because we ourselves don't really come out of our shells and we are playing it too safe...we don't want people to judge us and on the contrary we tend to judge people a bit too fast basis their way of talking...dressing..or anything which we don't exactly relate to...and that applies to me as well...I have been doing that all my life I guess. 

Today for the first time in my life...I felt so transparent and the bond that we actually created in this process...its so special like we were actually a family who knows all about you..like a childhood friend with whom you have shared all your secrets..its like we made each other a part of a our story and hopefully for many more years to come we will be able connect and share our stories without any apprehensions..just being our true selves :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment